League of Legends (LoL) is a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game created and published by Riot Games for Microsoft Windows and macOS. Two teams of five players compete in matches by selecting characters from a roster and controlling a single character in the battle against the other team.
Now let’s move on to the most interesting part – 10 facts about the LoL game.
- League of Legends was born as a result of a bet between the developers of the game Heroes of Newerth and the creators of the game DotA: Allstars. The former claimed that they can make a better game than the latter. The winner of the competition was League of Legends, which came out in October 2009.
- League of Legends is a game where players can choose from a large selection of champions – more than 130 in total – in order to engage in team-based combat.
- There are a few different modes of play, but the most popular and well-known mode is a 5-on-5 battle with the goal of destroying the opposing team's Nexus.
- The goal of the game is to destroy the enemy's nexus by having more points than your opponent. Points are gained by killing enemy players, destroying turrets, and killing minions.
- League of Legends was originally created as a mod for Warcraft 3.
- League of Legends was the first game in the world that managed to get to the most popular game in the world in just two years.
- The main characters of League of Legends have a real name and a history. The details of their biography are unveiled in the game Journal of Justice.
- The eSports gaming arena of League of Legends is the most visited one in the world.
- The most popular character in the game is Soraka The Starchild, with more than 1.5 million players (12% of all players).
- According to Riot Games, the amount of daily active users of LoL exceeds the amount of the entire population of New York City.